Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Working Vertically with Intarsia

 Most people who have knitted for a while know all the terminology. It's been a while since I knitted anything so I never used this method before on anything I've made. Until now, I didn't even know what intarsia meant. It sounds complicated, but it's not.




But working on the fox pattern, I did get to know it well. Foxy girl's face was the first time I used intarsia... ever. Did I mention previously that making these little animals are a crash course in knitting just in themselves? All intarsia means is that you are changing color by working vertical rows that you do not carry the threads behind the stitches like you do for regular color work. The big thing to remember about intarsia is to intertwine/twist the color strands together while you knit so your colors will be knitted together. Otherwise you will have strips of color that are not connected together on the needles.

This really is a great way to do sections of color like spots, dots and splotches. And once you get the hang of it, it's pretty fun. You can already see the pattern in the Badger's head starting to show.

No comments:

Post a Comment