Wednesday, September 29, 2021

New Crochet Project

I love to knit. And I think I'm a better knitter than I am a crocheter BUT it's almost Autumn and there is nothing I like better than cuddling up with a good cup of coffee and a nice afghan while I watch the leaves fall. So - I got the urge to crochet an afghan.



I do like making afghans and I've been known to crank them out pretty fast. I saw this pattern on YouTube and decided to make up a bunch of granny squares.




I decided to join them with just a slip stitch chain. I did one chain on the sides between the clusters and two chains in the corners so I could line them up perfectly.




It leaves a little ridge on the top of the squares as you join them back to back, but it flattens down and makes the squares look really square because everything matches up on all sides.




I'm making it on a smallish scale to be a lapghan... is that a new word? I don't want a huge blanket when I get done, just a smallish coverlet. Even the backs of the afghan are perfectly lined up. Is it me or do the back corners look a little like sand dollars?




I think one reason most afghans get shrined off and not used is because they are so big, they are hard to fold, wash and store without stretching out of shape so I'm keeping mine under 45 inches including the border. I'm joining it together in patches of nine blocks. It will have a pretty border too.




I think that's a good size and it will go quicker than a larger one.



No comments:

Post a Comment