Thursday, September 22, 2022

Bears and More Cute Bears

I went through a painting phase this summer and I think I got it out of my system... for now. But you know, when I feel like painting - I have to paint. And when I feel like making bears, I have to make bears.



I ran across these patterns by Mary Jane's Tearoom sometime in the last two years and although I wanted to try them then, at the time I was deep into making Little Cotton Rabbits patterns by Julie Williams. I still enjoy making them especially when she comes out with a new animal pattern. But lately I got the urge to try them. So I made a small 8 inch bear first and it took about three days. That's about what I spend in time on most other little knit animals. But that 11" "Candy Bear... it took me 6 days. I just can't spend that much time on one make. It's too much time on those baggy pants.




I knew knitted toys take a little longer to make than crochet but these little baggy pants are on another level. They absolutely take longer to make. I spent as much time on just the pants as I did the animal and I did not enjoy it. So although I really think they look great - and a little like they are styled from the 80's... I probably won't be making very many more of them. They are pretty but take up too much time. In contrast to crochet, I can make a similar sized animal with clothing in just 2 days. 




Although I like knitting very much, I need instant gratification when I make a project like a stuffed animal. It needs both to go quick and look stunning to keep my attention.  I'm moving on to Pica Pau next. The animals are more modern than the knitted ones and there is a whole smorgasbord of animals to choose from!


No comments:

Post a Comment